By: Michael Fox
“A lack of money blocks some students’ dreams of studying at university. Some ‘first in family at university’ students struggle to believe that they can go to university.” Guidance Officer
Where will your dreams take you?
2012 Census statistics show a significant difference in university study between Local City and Brisbane City students.
Achieved: Bachelor Degree level and above
- Logan City 11% of population
- Brisbane City 33% of population
Common barriers to university study for Flagstone College students:
- Travel is a significant hurdle for Flagstone students in cost and time. One UQ student works part-time to pay cost of travel.
- University of Southern Queensland – 25km – 25mins by car
- Griffith University – Logan Campus – 37km – 34mins by car
- Griffith University – Nathan Campus – 40km – 45mins by car
- University of Queensland – St Lucia – 55km – 60mins by car
- First in Family
- Starting university can be confusing and scary: everything from selecting subjects, organising books, finding the library, student activities and understanding HECS-HELP fee payment.
- The first member of a family to attend university does not have a network of family members who can share their experiences of university.
“I wish I’d known perhaps some strategies like in regards to best ways to study. I guess they’re things you learn through experience but I guess all the things that you learn from experience you wish you’d known at the start because I think I could have done a better job of those initial things had I known the best way to approach them … it’s kind of an oxymoron; you wish you had the life experience at the start so you could make the most of it” (Lachlan, 24) First-in-Family Project
How will a Bursary help you achieve your dream of university study?
- Your Jude Fox Bursary will pay $2,000 on confirmation of your enrolment at university. A further $1,000 will be paid when you successfully complete your first year of study. You can use the money to help with your travel costs or pay for text books or a notebook computer. How you use the funds will be your decision.
- Jude believed in the strength and potential of Flagstone students: whether they dreamed of learning a trade or dreamed of studying at university. Receiving a Jude Fox Bursary means teachers and community members who have experience with university believe you can be successful at university and wherever that leads you.
“I’m the first person I think in my entire bloodline to set foot in a university.